I wanted to create a cookie I grew up with, a classic Linzer cookie, but I was also craving chocolate snaps, so I combined the two and created this awesome chocolate Linzer cookie. They are of course Paleo and can be dairy free, but the recipe itself is very forgiving and will work with any flour or fat you choose. Hope you enjoy these as much as my family and I did. Let me know in the comments.
Holiday Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup 85% cocoa dark chocolate (finely chopped)
- 2 1/4 cups paleo mix flour (I used Bob's Red Mill Paleo mix, but any gluten free mix or even regular flour would work)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup palm oil shortening or unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup jam (I used raspberry and apricot)
- Melt chocolate in a clean, dry heatproof bowl on top of a saucepan with a few inches of simmering water. Do not let water boil. Once melted, set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, almond flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a large bowl with an electric hand mixer), beat palm oil shortening or butter and sugar on medium-high speed until well combined, scraping down sides, about a minute. Beat in egg until well combined. Add in the melted chocolate and beat to mix. Add in flour mixture and mix on low speed until a dough forms. You may have to use your hands if you are using a hand mixer. Divide into 2 balls, then flatten each into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 1 hour.
- To roll out, dust a large sheet of plastic wrap with cocoa powder. Place 1 disc of dough on top. Lightly dust dough with cocoa. Top with another sheet of plastic. Roll out dough to ⅛ inch (3 mm) to ¼ inch (6 mm).Use any cookie cutters you like to cut out the cookies. Re-roll scraps. Place cookies 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Bake cookies until edges are firm, about 8 to 10 minutes. Let cookies cool 5 minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely. Place a heaping ½ tsp (3 mL) of jam on bottom of whole cookies. Top and sandwich with cut-out cookies.